Equipment rental center
Planning a trip?
The Mort Harris Recreation and Fitness Center can provide you with everything you’ll need to make your next outdoor trip a success. We can accommodate WSU students, staff, faculty, and RFC members with a variety of equipment for camping, rock climbing, water sports, and other outdoor activities. Our rental rates accommodate those wanting equipment for daily, weekend, and weekly use.
Equipment Rental Instructions
If you wish to rent out any of our equipment listed below, fil out our electronic rental form. Once this form is submitted, you can pick up your equipment on the day you specified.
*please note a weekend consists of 3 days
*please note a weekly rental consists of 4 days minimum and 7 days maximum
Department of Campus Recreation Equipment Rental Policies
1. Renters must be 18 years or older.
2. Renters must present a valid Wayne State University Student, Employee, or Faculty ACCESS
ID when checking out equipment.
3. Reservations must be made using the equipment rental form or by coming in during the designated rental times.
4. Renters are required to provide a credit card number at the time of reservation and rental. Payment of the total rental fee is required at the time of pick-up. Rentals may be paid only with a credit card. The Department of Campus Recreation does not accept cash or check for rentals. By providing credit card information and reserving and/or taking the equipment, renters authorize the Department of Campus Recreation to charge any fees, and other amounts due from the reservation and/or rental of the equipment.
5. Refunds will be issued only to the person reserving the equipment. There are no cash refunds. All refunds will be placed on the credit card that originally reserved the equipment.
6. Reserved equipment not picked up on the reserved rental date will be checked out on a first come, first serve basis on the following day. There will be a full rental charge for reserved equipment not picked up on the reserved rental date.
7. Renters must properly clean, dry, and pack the equipment prior to its return. If returned equipment is not clean, dry, and properly packed a $10.00 cleaning fee for a single item rental and a $25.00 cleaning fee for multiple items will be charged to clean, dry, and pack the equipment.
8. If renters do not return the equipment during business hours on the scheduled return date or on the pre-arranged appointment date, they will be charged the daily rental fee of $5 for each item rented each day late up to 7 days. After 7 days, if the equipment is still not returned, the equipment will be considered lost and the full price of each equipment will be charged.
9. Renters will pay to replace, at the Department of Campus Recreation Director’s discretion, equipment or similar equipment at its current retail value (a) if the equipment is not returned to the Department of Campus Recreation located in the Mort Harris Recreation and Fitness Center during business hours and it is damaged, lost, or stolen; (b) the equipment is damaged, lost, or stolen while in the renter’s possession.
10. The Department of Campus Recreation reserves the right to inspect the equipment up to 3 business days after its return and to charge the renter's credit card for any improper cleaning, drying, packing, or missing parts or damage found at that time. Notice of the charges will be conveyed to the renter via telephone and a receipt will be provided upon request.
11. The Department of Campus Recreation reserves the right to refuse to rent equipment to renters in the future if they abuse equipment or violate the terms of these policies.
12. The Department of Campus Recreation reserves the right to deny access to the Mort Harris Recreation and Fitness Center until the renter pays the fees and other amounts due from the reservation and/or rental of the equipment.
13. The use of recreational equipment involves risk, including the risk of injuries, illnesses, and even death. I assume these risks and release any claims that I may have against the Wayne State University Department of Recreation for any injuries or illnesses that I may suffer as a result of using the Department of Recreation’s recreational equipment, including any claims that my heirs may have in the case of my death.