Policies and Procedures
The mission of the Department of Campus Recreation at Wayne State University is to provide recreational, social, and educational enrichment opportunities through quality programs and services. The Conduct Policy has been adopted to protect all users' right of access to the facility, to ensure health, peace, and safety of all guests and staff, and to protect resources from damage.
The following conduct or behavior is not permitted at any time within the Mort Harris RFC:
- Disorderly behavior of any kind, including excessive noise, running in the building, or otherwise causing a disruption to the peace and order of the Mort Harris RFC.
- Vandalizing or defacing materials or property including equipment, furniture, walls or any other aspect of the Mort Harris RFC.
- Removing materials, equipment or property from the building without authorization.
- Possession of a camera phone in any of the locker room areas.
- Indecent exposure, voyeurism, exhibitionism, or other lewd and lascivious acts.
- Bringing firearms or any other deadly weapons into the Mort Harris RFC.
- Harassment of other Mort Harris RFC guests or staff, either verbally or physically. This may include verbal abuse, use of profanity or other abusive language, intimidation, staring at or following another person within the facility, sexual harassment or harassment on the account of race, religion, ethnic background, gender or sexual orientation.
- Failure to wear a shirt or closed-toed athletic shoes.
- Bringing a bicycle into the facility. All bicycles must be secured at the racks provided next to the Mort Harris RFC. Any bicycles secured to the facility will be confiscated.
- Use of skateboards, in-line skates, roller skates, scooters or other sports equipment within the facility.
- Sleeping in the recreation facility.
- Failure to clean up after oneself while using any part of the facility, this includes re-racking weights when finishing a set in the free weight area.
- Smoking or use of tobacco products.
- Possessing or consuming alcohol or illegal drugs or being under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs.
- Selling products or services, soliciting for personal gain; or approaching guests for the purpose of obtaining signatures for petitions within the building.
- Posting or distributing unauthorized material or literature. Approval must be obtained in advance from the Assistant Director of the Facility.
- Using a cellular telephone, audible pager, audio equipment, audio-visual equipment, or computer equipment so that it disturbs others.
- Abandonment of individuals, both adults and children, who are unable to take care of themselves. A responsible adult (18 or older) must attend children under the age of 16. The responsible adult must be within arms length of their child at all times.
- The Mort Harris Recreation and Fitness Center guests have diverse musical and television tastes. We strive to provide eclectic music and programming choices throughout the day by providing random, rotating selections. Due to the high volume of foot traffic through the building, we do not take requests. We recommend bringing a personal music playing device (MP3 player, CD player) with headphones to listen to during your workout if you do not agree with our music selections.
- Leaving personal property in the facility unattended. All property must be stored in a locker. Property left unattended will be confiscated. A $5 charge will accessed to the patron and access will be denied until payment is made. Lockers inside the locker rooms, and on the first, second, and third floors are day use only. Any itmes left overnight will be confiscated. Confiscated items may be retrieved for a fee of $5. Rental lockers are in the hallways of the lower level.
- Campus Recreation prohibits, hanging on the rim, pulling on the basketabll rim, dunking, etc. for your safety and the safety of others. Individuals who dunk or hang, etc or violate this policy in any manner will automatically be asked to leave the facility,have their Mort Harris RFC access removed for a minimum of one semester or longer at the discretion of the Director of Campus Recreation, be subject to fines, student code of conduct charges, and a permanent ban from all WSU intramurals.
- Attempting to illegally use a OneCard to gain access to the facility will result in a $25 per person, per instance fine. The OneCard can be returned to the lawful owner at any time, however, Mort Harris RFC access will not be granted until the full fine amount is paid. For example, if three students are involved in unlawful entry, the total fine is $75 and none of the students will be allowed back in the building until the full $75 fine is paid. If three students are involved in two attempts (successful or not) the fine is $150.
- Use of an outside Personal Trainer is not permitted. Various Personal Training Packages with certified, Mort Harris RFC employed trainers are available at the Mort Harris RFC front desk.
What can you do as a boxer in this facility: Shadow box, Mirror box, Jump rope. What is not permissable: lateral movement across the floor, Sparring or pad work.
No opened-toe shoes, non-athletic shoes, sandals, dress shoes or flip flops.
No boots or black-soled shoes allowed on basketball courts and group fitness studios.
Pants and shorts must be worn at the waistline.
T-shirt or tank tops must be worn at all times. Bare midriffs are not acceptable.
Violations of any of the above policies will result in either a verbal warning or outright ejection from the Mort Harris RFC. Any of your behavior may result in loss of facility privileges and denied access to the facility. Failure to comply with the policy after being notified by a staff member may result in the summoning of Wayne State University Police and prosecution in accordance with the law.