The Mort Harris Recreation and Fitness Center is committed to educationally purposeful activities in all areas of student employment. We strive to include our student assistants in all aspects of the operation and make their experiences here applicable to their college journey and future careers, regardless of major.
Mort Harris Student Development Award
This award is to be distributed each April to the Mort Harris RFC student employee that exhibits leadership in the areas of academics, community service, and customer service.
- One (1) $1000 scholarship awarded each April
- Will pay out through student financial aid/applied to financial aid
- Recipient must be a current employee of the Mort Harris RFC
- Recipient must have a minimum 2.8 cumulative grade point average
- Recipient must be currently enrolled Wayne State University undergraduate or graduate student
- Recipient must exhibit leadership within the community service component of Mort Harris RFC employment with a minimum of 15 hours of community service starting with the first day of classes of the current academic year (begins in the fall Wednesday prior to Labor Day)
- Recipient must exhibit leadership and customer service within the work environment. The awardee will possess initiative, problem solving skills, and a strong drive to improve the work environment. In addition the recipient must have the respect of his/her coworkers and the management team.
- Personal Statement
- The applicant must submit answers to the following questions
- Describe ONE leadership activity in which you have been involved that you determine to be the most significant to the improvement of the MHRFC culture and community and why.
- How have your personal experiences as a leader at the MHRFC through its challenges and triumphs made you a better leader and why is that important? Explain any discoveries you have made about yourself, others or the concept of leadership.
Hannah Krus, 2016