Trips and special events
Winter 2019 Adventure Trips & Workshops
Ski & Snowboard at Alpine Valley
- Trip Date: Saturday, January 26
- Trip Time: Leaves Mort Harris RFC at 2pm
- Trip Info: Meet at he MHRFC at 1:45pm, and head to Alpine Valley. Ski or Snowboard until 10pm and head back to Wayne State.
- Cost: $70 for WSU Students and includes lift ticket and transportation. $100 for WSU Students and it includes lift ticket, transportation, and ski or snowboard rental. Food is not included.
- Required Pre Trip Meeting: Thursday, January 24th at 7pm.
Ice Climbing at Peabody's in Fenton
- Trip Date: February 9
- Trip Time: Leaves Mort Harris RFC at 12:30pm
- Trip Info: Meet at the MHRFC at 12:15pm. Leave campus around 12:30pm and arrive at Peabody's around 1:30pm. Climb from 2-6pm, and head back to campus. Arrive back at Wayne State around 7pm.
- Cost: $50 for WSU Students and includes transportation and ice climbing gear. Food is not included.
- Required Pre Trip Meeting: Thursday, February 6 at 7pm at MHRFC
Zombie Apocalypse Training - Archery and Snowshoeing in Detroit
- Trip Date: March 22
- Trip Time: Leaves Mort Harris RFC at 12pm
- Trip Info: Meet at the MHRFC at 12:00pm, leave around 12:15pm. Ride the QLine downtown and walk to DNR. Guided zombie archery instruction and guided snowshoeing instruction. Head back to campus on the QLine and arrive back around 4pm.
- Cost: $30 for WSU Students and includes transportation, archery, and showshoeing instruction and equipment.
- Required Pre Trip Meeting: Thursday, March 21 at 7pm at MHRFC
Outdoor Climbing at Grand Ledge
- Trip Date: April 13
- Trip Time: Leaves Mort Harris RFC at 10:00am.
- Trip Info: Meet at the MHRFC at 10am and head to Grand Ledge. Climb for about 4-5 hours and head back to campus. Arrive back on campus around 5pm.
- Cost: $40 for WSU Students and includes transportation, all climbing gear, and instruction.
- Required Pre Trip Meeting: Thursday, April 11 at 7pm at MHRFC
Registration for these trips can be taken care of at the front desk of the Mort Harris RFC. If you have any questions about our trips, please feel free to contact Melanie Stawkey at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also reach her office phone at (313) 577-6712.
Winter 2019 Workshops
New for the 2018-2019, we have added Adventure Workshops. Sign up for all of these can be done at the climbing wall desk from 4-11pm, Monday through Friday and 2-7pm Saturday and Sunday. All of these workshops are free.
Murder Mystery Party - Animal Edition: February 5, 6pm
Join us for a murder mystery party where you will channel your inner animal and help solve a murder by identifying animal tracks, scat, native wildlife, and DNA. Participants can choose to be suspects that give hints or detectives that decipher clues. Michelle Serreyn will be providing the animals from the Natural History Museum on campus.
Reduce Your Carbon Footprint: February 21, 6pm
Come learn how to do your part in combating climate change with our tips on how to reduce your carbon footprint. What we've been accustomed to as a society, in regards to what we consume and what we do with our waste, takes more from Earth than Earth can produce at such a rapid pace. In this workshop, we will be covering daily tweaks you can make to help the planet, even from a dorm sized space and on a college budget!
Bouldering Basics: March 20, 6pm
Whether you're a new or experienced climber, bouldering can be intimidating. Don't let it intimidate you any longer and come to our bouldering basics workshop! We will cover the differences in technique compared to top rope climbing as well as tips and tricks on bouldering safely. Come in with questions about your latest project or start bouldering for the first time with us!
Behind the Gear - Backpacking: March 28, 6pm
Whether you are looking to purchase backpacking gear or are new to backpacking, this workshop is for you! Learn how to properly pack a backpacking backpack as well as other tips and tricks in our Behind the Gear series, backpacking workshop. We will cover how to properly pack for a 3 day trip and talk about essential gear focusing on the pack, tent, and water filtration.
Apocalypse Training - Map & Compass Scavenger Hunt: April 2, 4pm
Have you ever wanted to learn how to read and use a map and compass together? Have you ever wanted to know basic survival skills in case of a zombie apocalypse? Now's your chance! In this workshop, we will be going on a scavenger hunt with only maps and compasses to find what we would need in a postapocalyptic world.
Behind the Gear - Climbing ft. Black Diamond: April 3, 7pm
Want to learn about our climbing gear or need advice about buying your own? Join us and a Black Diamond representative in the Behind the Gear series climbing workshop to learn what to look for in climbing equipment. We will cover how your climbing shoes and harness should fit and what hardware and accessories you may need depending on where and how you are climbing. Black Diamond will also have products to sell to those who come in!
To view previous trip photos, click HERE