Trips and Workshops
Fall 2019 Adventure Trips & Workshops
Intro to Detroit Bike & Walking Tour
- Trip Date: September 21
- Trip Time: Leaves Mort Harris RFC at 10:00am. Arrive back to MHRFC around 3pm.
- Trip Info: Meet at the MHRFC at 9:55am. Leave around 10am. Come join us for a Detroit adventure! Starting with a bike tour around Midtown before we take the QLine and People Mover downtown for a tour of Detroit and a hike along the river walk to Detroit's historic Eastern Market. This trip is great for people new to Detroit and want to get to know the area, or for those who just want to get better acquainted with the city and spend some time outside! Great for all skill levels.
- Cost: $12 for WSU Students and includes transportation,and bike rental. $20 for non-students
- Required Pre Trip Meeting: Thursday, September 19 at 7pm at MHRFC
TreeRunner Adventure Park
- Trip Date: September 28
- Trip Time: Meet at the MHRFC at 8:55am. Leave around 9am. Return to the MHRFC around 3:00pm.
- Trip Info: Get your climb on with us at West Bloomfield's TreeRunner Adventure Park. Explore several trails, aerial challenges, and ziplines at the largest forest climbing park in Michigan. There is a variety of courses for people of all difficulty levels. If you climbed trees as a kid, you'll want to sign up for this. The climbing time is roughly 4 hours long, then we will head back to campus together. Climbing gear is included in the price!
*This is a carpooling event to keep costs of signing up down, if you are able to help with transportation, make sure to indicate so when you sign up.
- Cost: $42 per person
- Required Pre Trip Meeting: Thursday, September 26, 7pm
Bike To and Stand Up Paddleboard (SUP) Belle Isle
- Trip Date: October 5
- Trip Time: Leaves Mort Harris RFC at 10:00am. Arrive back to MHRFC around 6:30pm.
- Trip Info: Meet at the MHRFC at 9:55am. Leave around 10am. Join us as we soak up all that Belle Isle has to offer! We will bike to Belle Isle and stand up paddle board Belle Isle's inland lakes and canals before visiting the Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Conservatory, and Aquarium, then we will bike back to Wayne State. This is sure to be a fun filled day of adventure! Great for all skill levels and perfect for anyone wanting to get out of their comfort zone!
- Cost: $30 for WSU Students and includes SUP rental and bike rental
- Required Pre Trip Meeting: Thursday, October 3 at 7pm at MHRFC
Outdoor Climbing at Grand Ledge
- Trip Date: October 19
- Trip Time: Leaves Mort Harris RFC at 9:00am.
- Trip Info: Meet at the MHRFC at 9am and head to Grand Ledge. Climb for about 4-5 hours and head back to campus. Arrive back on campus around 5pm.
- Cost: $40 for WSU Students and includes transportation, all climbing gear, and instruction. $45 for non-students.
- Required Pre Trip Meeting: Thursday, October 17 at 8:30pm at MHRFC
Registration for these trips can be taken care of at the front desk of the Mort Harris RFC. If you have any questions about our trips, please feel free to contact Melanie Stawkey at email@example.com. You can also reach her office phone at (313) 577-6712.
Fall 2019 Workshops
We're starting our second year of Adventure Programming Workshops. Sign up for all of these can be done at the climbing wall desk from 4-11pm, Monday through Friday and 2-7pm Saturday and Sunday. All of these workshops are free.
Bin There, Dump That - Navigation and Recycling: September 23, 3pm
- Have you ever wanted to learn how to use a map and compass? Here is your chance! In this workshop you will be learning how to use a map and compass in sync before being put to the test! We will navigate our way to see artwork on buildings and learn about recycling while staying close to campus. Wear comfortable walking shoes, you won't want to miss the opportunity to hear from our guest speaker.
Bouldering Workshop: October 3, 6pm
If you're a climber, you know that bouldering can be a tough beast to tackle. If you're new to climbing and bouldering seems intimidating, have no fear! Join us for our fall semester bouldering workshop and work with experienced climbers and MHRFC Adventure Programming staff. We encourage climbers of all levels to join as the climbing wall will be closed for this workshop to ensure everyone can work on the problems they wish to. We will briefly cover some of the basics of bouldering that we covered in our spring workshop and then break off into groups to climb! Come in with questions about your latest project or start bouldering for the first time with us!
The World of Poisonous and Deadly Plants: October 21, 6pm
- Join us as we explore the poisonous and deadly world of plants with special guest Michelle Serreyn. Come if you dare, but beware, some plants bite! Caution: This workshop contains a live feeding to a carnivorous plant as long as the plant doesn't die first.
Sustainable Living: November 8, 6pm
- Yes, even you can live sustainably! Come learn how to reduce your waste and limit your use of Earth's resources in this fun and interactive workshop. Stay until the end to make a sustainable craft that you can take home!
Climbing Improvement Stations: November 21, 6pm
Sometimes as climbers, certain routes or problems make us feel stuck. This can be due to improper technique, feeling like you have hit a physical plateau, or you're faced with a move that you've never tried before. The purpose of this workshop is to designate time for WSU's climbers to work out the kinks of climbing that they may be facing. We will talk briefly about the 6 different stations and break off into groups. MHRFC Adventure Programming staff will guide participants through the stations while giving helpful feedback and advice. Climbing can be different for every person that climbs but it's always nice to create conversation in our climbing community around different techniques, styles, and difficulty levels.
Yoga for Climbers: Every Thursday at 4pm in Room 250, taught by Camila
A weekly opportunity for climbers to get in touch with their balance and strength off of the climbing wall. Camila will be teaching an hour long yoga class with positions and flow based around climbing. This class will help polish your climbing abilities while giving you practice with stretching, breathing, and balance.