Climbing Wall is Open for Bouldering and Top Rope Climbing
- Reservations are no longer needed for climbing
- Reservations are needed for belay check
- No capacity limit on wall
- Current Wall Hours:
- Monday: 12pm-11pm
- Tuesday: 12pm-11pm
- Wednesday: 12pm-11pm
- Thursday: 12pm-11pm
- Friday: 12pm-11pm
- Saturday: 12pm-7pm
- Sunday: 12pm-7pm
Belay Check Reservations
Click here to place a 1 hour reservation for the climbing wall belay check.
Additional Policies Effective 9/16/2020
- Gear/Personal Items must be stored in locker
- No food allowed in the climbing area
- Climbers are expected to clean their crash pads before and after use
About the Climbing Wall
Our wall is approximately 30 ft. tall with numerous top rope and lead climbing options and dozens of routes of varying difficulty. Each route is marked by different color tape to resemble outdoor routes and offer more of a challenge. Each route is rated on the Yosemite Decimal System; our routes range from 5.6 (Beginner) to 5.12 (Expert). We also have several bouldering problems. Boulder problems are approximately 12 ft. high and require no rope, however, are usually more difficult. Bouldering problems are graded on the "V" Scale, named after John "Vermin" Sherman and range from V0 (Beginner) to V6 (Advanced).
Climbing Wall Policies
All climbers are required to follow the policies below. Failure to do so will result in immediate dismissal from the climbing wall and possible loss of access to the gym indefinitely.
- All patrons that wish to boulder or climb must have either a valid Climbing Wall Year Pass or a valid Climbing Wall Day Pass. Non members of the Mort Harris RFC who purchase a Climbing Wall Day Pass must also purchase a guest pass and follow the guest policy.
- All patrons that wish to boulder or climb must sign a waiver that will be kept on file for the length of their membership.
- All patrons that wish to boulder or climb must have passed a Belay Check by the Mort Harris RFC staff.
- Climbing Wall is open from 12:00pm 11:00pm Monday Friday and 12:00pm - 7:00pm Saturday - Sunday during the Fall and Winter Semesters. Summer Semester hours vary but will be updated here when available. During this time, the wall is staffed to provide climbers with a Belay Check.
- No bare feet allowed at the climbing wall. Socks may be worn.
- Patrons must sign in on a daily basis on the Climbing Wall Sign-in Sheet that is located at the climbing wall desk.
- When bouldering you are only permitted to climb to the height of white line (12ft.).
Top Rope Climbing
- The Mort Harris Recreation & Fitness Center staff can assist if needed in belaying.
- Belayers must be anchored in at all times.
Our climbing routes are updated regularly.
Climbing Wall Events and Programs
Throughout the year, we host several climbing related events, most of which are free current WSU Students and MHRFC Members.
Periodically throughout the semester, in partnership with Intramural Sports we offer Climbing Competitions such as Bouldering Comps and Intramural Top Rope Leagues. Visit the Intramural Sports Schedule for the most up to date Climbing Competition Schedule and imleagues.com/wayne to sign up today.
Free Climb Nights
Every Fall and Winter Semester we host 2-3 Free Climb Nights for you to come try out climbing. These nights are open to any current WSU Student and MHRFC Member. For our upcoming Free Climb Night Schedule, visit our Adventure Programming Trips & Events Page.
Climbing Wall Fees
To use the climbing wall, please pay the front desk attendant and show the receipt to the climbing wall staff.
|WSU student/Mort Harris Member daily climbing pass without equipment rental||$5|
|WSU student/Mort Harris Member daily climbing pass with equipment rental||$10|
|WSU Student/Mort Harris Member Year Pass with equipment rental||$60|
|WSU Student/Mort Harris Member Year Pass without equipment rental||$50|
|Belay check||All climbers pass a belay check before climbing.|
|Non-Mort Harris RFC member Daily Pass without equipment rental||$5 + $10 guest fee|
|Non-Mort Harris RFC member Daily Pass with equipment rental||$10 + $10 guest fee|
|Non-Mort Harris RFC member wall onlyYear pass without equipment||$80|
|>Non-Mort Harris RFC member wall onlyYear Pass with equipment||$100|